Monday, October 15, 2012

Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with a gorgeous redhead. - Lucille Ball

October 15,
I Love Lucy Day 

Sixty one years ago today, on October 15, 1951, I Love Lucy aired for the first time ever. The series, which ran from 1951-1957, was the most watched show in the United States for four of it's six seasons.
Originally set in an apartment building in New York City, I Love Lucy centers on Lucy Ricardo (Lucille Ball) and her bandleader hotty of a husband Ricky Ricardo (Desi Arnaz), along with their best friends and landlords Fred Mertz (William Frawley) and Ethel Mertz (Vivian Vance). In the second season, Lucy and Ricky gave birth to Ricky Ricardo Jr. The show broke ground by coinciding Lucy and Desi's real life pregnancy and delivery of Desi Arnaz Jr with little Ricky's.
I Love Lucy remains popular, with an American audience of 40 million each year.



Chocolate Covered Cherry Martini
One of my, and Americas, favorite Lucy episodes was season 2, episode 4 - Job Switching. In the episode Lucy and Ethel trade places with the boys, getting jobs in a chocolate factory, while the boys become homemakers. The rest goes down in TV history. When ever I think of chocolate candies, I think of cherry cordials, which is how we got to today's drink!

Ingredients:

1.5 oz. Creme de Cacoa
1 oz. Cherry Vodka
1 oz. half and half
.5 oz. Grenadine
Garnish:
chocolate syrup
maraschino cherry

Directions:
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice combine all ingredients.
 Shake n Bake (Don't really bake it, it's just a saying).
Squeeze chocolate syrup into the bottom of a martini glass.
 Pour martini over the top.
 Garnish with a maraschino cherry.





I Love Lucy Theme Song
I love Lucy and she loves me.
We're as happy as two can be.
Sometimes we quarrel but then, ha-ha-ha...
How we love making up again.


Lucy kisses like no one can.
She's my missus and I'm her man,
And life is heaven you see,
'Cause I love Lucy, Yes I love Lucy, and Lucy loves me!

No comments:

Post a Comment